13 March 2011

This week I have decided to write about my grandmother Mary. This Wednesday my grandmother would have been 85. She was the oldest daughter in her family and helped her mother take care of the family. My grandmother would wake up early start the fire and cook breakfast for the family. Cooking was my grandmother's act of service and I believe I get my love of cooking from her. She spent several years of her life making delicious meals that were made with love. My grandmother would also spend countless hours each summer putting away vegetables and canning jellies and jams. She would work in her flower beds and in her garden. She enjoyed taking time to go fish in the pond and then making a southern fish fry dinner with the fish that were caught.

Many of the memories that I have of my grandmother are in the kitchen. I remember one time I was sitting in the living room and I heard a scream coming from the kitchen. Grandma had been boiling eggs for lunch and one didn't get done so she put it in the microwave. When she went to crack it it exploded. I ran into the kitchen to find egg everywhere. For those fish fry dinners on summer evenings she would make coleslaw I remember watching her cut the cabbage. It had to be done just perfectly. One day my uncle decided to help cut the cabbage and she took over because it wasn't cut right. She wanted everything to be perfect for us. When I would come to visit she would have roast beef, potatoes, onions and carrots, along with a chocolate cake for dessert. This was my favorite meal. She would call and ask me what I wanted and I would always tell her to cook what was easiest. It didn't matter what I said she would have it made.  If I were to look up the word hospitality in Webster's it would probably have my grandmother's name listed there. She taught us what it means to be the hostess. She taught me the value of serving others.

My grandmother was defiantly a stout woman. She was a hard worker who never gave up. She had her elbow replaced twice and worked hard through physical therapy each time. The last summer we had with her she instead on helping my mom and I in the kitchen. She wasn't happy when she couldn't sit around that table and work. It was what gave her joy. Her joy was found in her service to others. This is one of the greatest lessons that I learned from her. It is in service to others that you truly find joy. Stout women live selfless lives. They also persevere. This is the other lesson that I learned from my grandmother. I remember the summer that she passed. I was studying for my MCAT for entrance to medical school. I didn't know how I would do it and I felt like I should just cancel the exam because her death was so close my exam date. But I knew that I would not honor my grandmother's memory by doing that. So I choose to persevere. I choose to move own although times were tough. My grandma continues to inspire me to persevere even when times are difficult.

Most of all my grandma was a beautiful woman both inside and outside. Her smile is one of the most beautiful smiles I've ever seen. I enjoy looking at old pictures of her and my grandfather. Her smile lights up the room. I could go on about how she was beautiful on the inside but I think that I detailed that above.. I hope that I can be like her.  A determined woman, who serves others and is beautiful on the outside but more importantly on the inside.

1 comment: