01 March 2013

A Legacy




My grandfather, Jerry Coleman Jarriel Sr was born on December 28, 1920 to Troy and Bessie Jarriel. My grandfather was the oldest child and the only boy. He grew up on the land where he would eventually retire. My grandparents would eventually build a house down the dirt road from the house he grew up in. Growing up, I remember my grandfather telling us stories about his years growing up on the farm. It was such a unique experience because we would drive around and he would point out places and then tell us a story. One Christmas, my grandfather had my brother, my cousin Gary, and I get in the car and told us where to drive. He had us park on the edge of the road and walk through the woods a bit. We came up to this wooden building, with great excitement my grandfather said look inside. So we did and and it was an outhouse!! My grandfather went on to explain how this had been the outhouse for the one room schoolhouse up the road. This one was the girls. Just up the road was the school where my granddaddy went growing up. He drove the school bus and in return for driving he didn't have to pay to ride it. I loved getting to spend these precious moments with him and hear these stories.



When World War Two started, my grandfather joined the Navy. He would serve in a recruiting office in Charleston until late 1944, when he made his way to the Pacific to meet his ship. Part of my grandfather's job was to make travel arrangements for soldiers traveling to war. When his recruiting office was shut down he made his own travel arrangements. He arranged to spend some time in Washington DC and various other stops throughout the country. He was very proud of himself and how he managed to see the country on his way to California. He would serve in the dispatch room, abroad the USS Anthony, a destroyer. His job was to record all the major events of every battle. He had a radio that communicated directly with the command deck. One of my favorite things to do was listen to my granddaddy tell stories about his time at sea. He keep a incredible journal and we still have copies of it today. He told us stories about the sinking of the Bismark and how kamakize fighters would fly over his ship. He was able to tell about most major battles of the Pacific in 1945. He also spent time in Japan and as children, we enjoyed looking through all his memorabilia from his time there.

In 1950, my grandfather meet a beautiful young lady by the name of Mary Flake. He really liked this young woman. They were introduced by two mutual friends. These friends would accompany him to ask this Mary's dad for permission to marry her. On September 16, 1950 my grandfather married my grandmother. The two were married for 56 years. I loved spending time with them. My grandma, much like granddaddy, always loved to share stories with us. As grandchildren we loved spending time with them.

My grandparents leave behind a legacy for me. Leaving behind a legacy is probably the best gift that they could ever give me. My grandfather's legacy for me starts with his mother, Bessie. My middle name is Elizabeth, after this woman. My mom said that her faith always inspired her. During WW2, German prisoners of war were brought to my great-grandparents farm to help them. Many times my grandma Bessie would cook a big meal for them and invite them to eat at her kitchen table. The guards eventually told her that she had to stop letting them eat at her table. You see grandma Bessie was a "stout woman", a strong Christian lady and she did this out of her love for God. It was evident that she passed the values on to her son. From the time I could remember our dinner table at my grandparents was always blessed with prayer before every meal. My grandfather served as a deacon in his local church. He also married a woman much like his mother. Together my grandparents had servant hearts, much like my grandma Bessie. Together they served those around them. As the oldest male and female children in their respective families this began with their families. My memories of their service was mostly centered around the dinner table. For my grandmother there was always room at her table, much like there was always room around Grandma Bessie's table. My grandparents inspired me to live a life of love and service in the say that they modeled it to us grandchildren growing up. My grandfather's service in the Navy is partly what inspired me to join the guard and serve my country. Their willingness to open their homes to others in service has inspired me to do the same with those around me. Lastly their unwavering faith in God has shown me that God will provide. My grandfather placed God first in His life. He truly demonstrated Ephesians 5:25 by loving not only my grandmother as Christ loved us, but loving our family in much the same way. I remember when my grandmother was dying how sweetly he comforted her and let her know that we all would be okay. He is sure of his final home in heaven and ready to go when The Lord calls him home. He realizes that this world is not his home, but he is bound for Glory. He will sit at the feast of the lamb and walk on streets of Gold. In these last days his body has been riddled  with pain and he has been unable to walk.  I know from the moment he enters Heaven's gates he will no longer be in pain, he will be not only able not walk again but dance at the feet of Jesus. Lately he has struggled to breathe and I rejoice that soon he will breathe new life and sing praises to His Savior.

Yesterday, we received a phone call that my grandfather who had been placed in hospice was not doing well.  My mom was able to get on a flight and make it to Georgia to be with him. Tomorrow I will join my family there. I pray that I can make it time to share one last moment with him. In my sorrow I rejoice because he is going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment